Tuesday, February 3, 2015

OpEd Analysis

In my paper I used personal examples as a strategy in my op ed. I think personal examples are a great way to connect with the audience through pathos. Personal examples are usually emotional or common experiences with an individual. Another strategy I used was using authoritative quotes. The beginning of my article started with a quote from the Family Proclamation. This is a great quote for BYU students, the audience of my paper, but for the few that are not LDS or do not believe in God, I also supported the Family Proclamation with facts. 

After writing it, I realized that I should have picked a very specific topic before even writing my first rough draft. Also, it was hard to come up with solutions to the problems I was addressing. I guess that is why they are problems because it is hard to find good solutions! Furthermore, it was difficult to provide counter arguments to those solutions that I did find. 

I was expecting the op ed to be easier to think of points to persuade my audience. Now, it is quite evident that sometimes it is quite hard to think of persuasive thoughts and compelling points of view. For the rhetorical analysis, I will spend more time coming up with thesis and a outline to make my paper flow more fluidly. I think my next paper will have many more drafts as well.  


No comments:

Post a Comment